Viscopaste Zinc Paste Bandage by Smith & NephewIndicated in the management of minor skin conditions such as eczema or dermatitis. Impregnated with 10% zinc oxide in an emulsifying base. Bandage does not harden and is simple to apply and remove. Soothing to irritated skin. May be used under compression bandages.
Viscopaste PB7 Indications - For the management of leg ulcers. Where venous insufficiency exists, the paste bandage should be adjunct to the graduated compression bandaging. For the management of chronic eczema/dermatitis where occlusion is indicated.
Viscopaste PB7 Precautions:
Viscopaste PB7 Benefits:
- Where venous insufficiency exists, Viscopaste PB7 may be used under graduated compression bandaging, after first assessing the patient to exclude arterial disease. The use of Doppler ultrasound is recommended for this purpose.
- Compression bandaging should not be used on patients who have arterial disease (ABPI<0.8) and is not recommended for use on diabetic patients with advanced small vessel disease.
- Failure to detect reduced arterial flow can result in pressure necrosis, amputation, or even death. The risk of a patient having arterial as well as venous disease rises with age.
- The skin of leg ulcer patients is easily sensitized to topical medicaments - including preservatives. Sensitization should be suspected in patients, particularly where there is deterioration of the surrounding skin. Such patients should be referred for a specialist consult.
This product is ready for use upon removal from the sealed pouch and wrapper. There are two ways that the bandage can be applied:
- Easy to apply and remove
- Will not dry out
- Moist wound healing environment over an ulcer
- Comfortable and soothing
- Easy identification
- Easy storage
Beginning at the base of the toes, the bandage should be loosely wrapped around the foot, heel and around the leg in a spiral fashion to just below the knee. Once applied, the bandage should then be smoothed and molded around the leg.
Beginning at the base of the toes, the bandage should be loosely wrapped around the foot and heel and then, whilst wrapping from the ankle, apply a pleat, at the front of the leg. This should be repeated up the leg until just below the knee. Compression bandaging may follow. Once Viscopaste PB7 has been applied, the leg should be covered by a bandage or dressing to prevent soiling of clothes and bedcovers.